An HF10V Butternut Antenna.
Like all hams I try to improve my stations operation.
This is why when I heard that a Butternut HF9V vertical antenna was available.
I bought it.Then to enable complete coverage from 6m-160m ( 54mhz - 1.8mhz).
I ordered a 160m kit to enable the HF9V vertical antenna to accomplish this.
This is the layout I wish to use.The HF10V Drawing
For mounting the HF10V
I set the 2' ground mount using a water hose with water pressure
it took only 10 minutes to set. I placed it next to a now unused mount.
I used the lower half of the HF9V to level the antenna.
Two views show the placement of the antenna. Now to lay out the radials
The map shows how I am going to proceed.
I increased the radial count to 20.
I used biodegradable staples to place the radials.
A full view.
Using 2" jumper I redid the radials putting 5 on each jumper.
Added 2 extra 2" jumper and added 6 more radials four of which are about 50'
There are now 26 radials for a total of 650' in the radial pattern.
Now to assemble the 160 mmeter kit and install it.
The assembled 160m kit.
The 160m kit attached to the HF9V vertical
I guess you could call it an HF10V Antenna [g].
Here is the first chart checking the VSWR on the HF9V before adding the 160m coil and disconnecting the "Q"coil.
The Butternut 160M Kit.
Here is the first chart checking the VSWR on the HF10V after adding the 160m coil and disconnecting the "Q"coil.
Notice the shift in frequency that adding the 160M kit and disconnecting the "Q" coil caused.
I adjusted (compressed) the 160m coil to shift the frequency.
Then adjusted (compressed) the 80m and 40m coils 1" shifting the frequency.
Here is that chart
Then adjusted (compressed) the 40m coil another 1/2" shifting the frequency further.
Here is that chart
Here is the Frequency Chart that was made after adjusting the linear loading wires on 15 and 6 meters.
For some reason 6 meters refuses to submit to adjustments.
The Butternut "HF10V" is completed and fully operational on all bands
I forgot to mention that all the measurements were made using My Elecraft K3/10 which has
a KAT3 tuner in it but it was bypassed during the measurement process. The tuner will tune
all bands except 160m to under a 2.0:1 VSWR.
~ ~ Jun 2012 ~ ~
After selling it and buying it back then moving it a little it was remounted
The 75 ohm feed line has been replaced and sealed in 1.5" PVC
It was checked for resonance using the K3 at 10W and the ATU bypassed.